A beautiful oasis on the edge of downtown Holland, Windmill Island features a 248 year old working Dutch windmill "De Zwaan" (meaning graceful bird). The windmill, which reaches 125 feet from the ground to the top of the blades, towers over 36 acres of manicured gardens, dikes, canals and picnic areas.
• Over 150,000 tulips bloom in the spring. In the summer, annual plants and flowers decorate the ground. We welcome you to linger amid a sea of flowers.
• The Posthouse museum is an exact replica of a 14th century wayside inn. Inside you can view a 12 minute presentation about Windmills, The Netherlands and our "De Zwaan".
• During the summer, visitors delight in the old-time klompen dance performed by girls dressed in folk costumes and wooden shoes.
• Kids will love the antique Dutch carousel, featuring hand-carved and painted wooden horses.
• Visit the miniature Netherlands Village made by the early settlers.
• Enjoy some world famous fudge.
• Visit the souvenir shop for some mementos of your visit.
• Listen to our antique Amsterdam street organ and learn how it works.
Tagged: , Holland , Michigan , Windmill Island , Windmill , 249 years old , Netherlands , Fuji , FinePix , S100fs , July 17 , 2010 , Cimala Custom PhotographySome local news is curated - Original might have been posted at a different date/ time! Click the source link for details.